Monday, January 18, 2010

Non -native creatures./Testing update.

I spent the weekend in London, having a great time, as is always the case when I visit my friends `down south`.
On Saturday morning, a little groggy from the Friday night, standing in the backgarden, I was surprised to see two green parakeets squawking in some trees in the garden next door!
I had heard that parrots had escaped and bred in the the U.K, but I had never before seen them in the `wild`. I was speaking to Michelle , who is a local resident about this later, and she said that they were very common in her area of London(Osterley) and in Twickenham as well. I think it had me bemused all the more at the time, as I had seen a very similar one almost exactly a year to the day, fly over the rooftop of my Hotel in Kathmandu when I first arrived there. I have never seen any in Manchester!
After escaping captivity,(reputedly in the 1970`s), roughly 100,000 of these birds are estimated to be living in the U.K., mainly in the South East of England.
In the same tree, another non -indigenous species, the grey squirrel, was scurrying about its business.
As many of you are aware, there was much speculation about whether the sightings of Alien Big Cats in the U.K. were initially as a result of people releasing their pets after the introduction of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act in 1976. Species such as the Lynx for example, which were indigenous to these shores( until we hunted them out of existence),would have no problem adapting to our countryside.
I wish all ABC researchers the best of luck with their quests.I am with you.

As an update, I was in touch with Todd again at the back end of last week. He expects the DNA testing on the hairs brought back from Sumatra, to be completed in the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment