Thursday, October 1, 2009

Earthquake in Sumatra.

Last night, after a returned home I saw some shocking news.The city we had left only a few days ago, in Sumatra, Pedang had been devastated by an earthquake. Having visitied the area some 5 times, Iwas able to recognise familiar streets strewn with rubble. All I can say is my thoughts are with those who are struggling out there in this crisis. If you want to do something to help, then donate to a voluntary organisation like the Red Cross or Medicene Sans Frontier, they both do excellent work.
In 2007 I was in the midst of an earthquake whilst I was in the jungle in Sumatra.The easiest way to describe what happened is that the ground felt like it had turned to liquid , you were unable to stand up, and that the animals were terrified. I also heard on the news this morning that siesmologists predict a further bigger quake along that fault line in the next 2 to 5 years.

The area where the Orang-Pendek is,is also wedged between volcanoes- when I was there Sahar showed me stills of Kerinci spewing lava only 5 months before. A very rare creature in a very volatile environment.
The good news is that the team in Indonesia have made contact with me this morning ,so it appears they are safe. My thoughts are with the families of those who have suffered loss......

No comments:

Post a Comment